You’ve been dying to break out the Fry Daddy, haven’t you? If you’re going to fire it up — and you should — make it worth your while by frying a couple of other things in addition to potatoes. Then toss them all together with Old Bay seasoning, the universal seasoning (slogan pending corporate approval), and eat with vodka-spiked roasted garlic ketchup, just like Marc Murphy does at Ditch Plains. Sound like a plan?
A few burgers to consider with fries this hefty:
For the fries
- 16 ounces pickled jalapeños
- 16 ounces dill pickle slices
- 1 pound potatoes, sliced into french fries
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
For the spiked ketchup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 5 ounces vodka
For the spiked ketchup:
- Whisk the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and roasted garlic together in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the ketchup and vodka to the bowl and mix until incorporated. This will keep for up to 6 days in the refrigerator.
To roast the garlic:
- Cut 2 heads of garlic in half crosswise and season with salt and pepper and olive oil.
- Wrap in foil and place in a 300 degree oven for 1 hour until the garlic is soft.
- Remove the garlic from the skin and mix into a paste.
For the fries:
- Set fryer to 350 degrees.
- Drain dill pickles and pickled jalapenos into colander. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix flour, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ground pepper and 2 tablespoons salt.
- Once combined, toss pickles and jalapenos in seasoned flour mixture and coat each piece generously. Pat off excess flour and lay floured pickles flat on large sheet tray.
- Fry jalapenos and pickles together in batches, but be sure not to over crowd. Fry until golden brown — about 2 minutes.
- Next, fry french fries until golden brown for about 3 minutes.
- Place all fried items in medium mixing bowl, season with Old Bay and chopped parsley, toss and serve immediately with spiked ketchup.