If there was ever an essential condiment for fresh, simple seafood, it would be cocktail sauce. This deft mixture of ketchup, chili sauce, horseradish and lemon juice is the classic accompaniment to fresh or fried shrimp, but is delicious on everything you'd find on the shellfish tower. Tailor the horseradish and hot sauce to your heat level, and switch up the flavors by using sriracha or a Mexican hot sauce like Cholula instead of the traditional Tabasco.
- 1/2 cup chilli sauce (such as Heinz)
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- Combine the chili sauce, ketchup and horseradish.
- Season with lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.
- Cover and set aside until ready to serve.
- Serve with shrimp or along or use in bloody marys or as a veggie dip.
More simple sauce recipes on Food Republic: