In this classic Mexican combination of chocolate, almond, cinnamon and chile I use powdered chipotles, which are dried and smoked jalapeños. The chipotle powder imparts a subtle, smoky note that complements the chocolate, as well as a bit of heat to the finish. Chipotle powder is widely available, usually in the spice or Latin foods sections of the supermarket. You can use cayenne instead—it will give you the heat without the smoke.
- 1/2 cups whole or lowfat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinammon, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 4 medium scoops vanilla bean ice cream, softened until just melty at the edges
- 4 medium scoops chocolate sorbet, softened until just melty at the edges
- Place the milk, almond extract, cinnamon, and chipotle in a blender and blend to mix thoroughly, about 15 seconds.
- Add the ice cream and sorbet and pulse several times to begin breaking them up. With the blender motor off, use a flexible spatula to mash the mixture down onto the blender blades.
- Continue pulsing, stopping, and mashing until the mixture is well blended, thick, and moves easily in the blender jar, roughly 30 to 90 seconds.
- Pour into a chilled glass or glasses, and serve at once.