Anyone who's ever loved a taco should hit LA's Pink Taco with an empty belly and a fierce craving. In honor of Food Republic Grilling Month, we borrowed a meatless recipe from chef Sam Anguiano. "Mushroom tacos are perfect for the food lover who wants a good taco, but doesn't eat meat. Grilling them over live mesquite will give you optimum flavor. The portobello should be grilled through but still have some bite to create different layers of texture. Carnivore or not, you will love this taco." Agreed.
- 3 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 1/4 shallot, minced
- 3 teaspoons white truffle oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 6 large portobello mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
For the tacos
- 12 (4-inch) corn tortillas
- 6 large radishes, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces Parmesan cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 cups pea shoots
- Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender and process until well-combined.
- Reserve in the refrigerator until needed.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Remove stems from portobellos and discard.
- Brush mushrooms with olive oil on all sides and season with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms onto hot grill and cook for 4-5 minutes, then turn over and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from grill, rest for 10 minutes, slice them into 24 even pieces about 1/2-inch thick and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat and add olive oil.
- Add onions, salt and pepper and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium and continue to cook. Move the onions in the pan until they have turned a nice light brown color. (Check out our easy guide to caramelizing onions here)
- Once onions are caramelized, add fresh orange juice and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Warm all tortillas and hold in a tortilla warmer or in aluminum foil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of truffle aioli to the center of the tortilla from end to end, creating a line.
- Place 2 slices of grilled mushrooms on top of truffle aioli.
- Place 1 tablespoon of caramelized onions on top of the mushrooms, spreading them evenly.
- Place thinly sliced radishes on top of the onions and thin parmesan cheese slices on top of the radishes.
- Top with 4-5 sprigs of pea shoots and serve.
More vegetarian tacos on Food Republic: