You can trust a cookbook from The Lodge Company as much as its beautifully seasoned and totally indestructable cast-iron cookware. This hefty book holds 200 Dutch oven, skillet and grill pan recipes from chefs across the country. Renew your dedication to the sturdiest pan in the kitchen with a few of these dishes, like these juicy lamb chops with cauliflower mash.
- 12 (1 to 1 1/2-inch thick) lamb loin chops
- kosher salt
- 1/2 cup tightly packed fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season the lamb chops on both sides with salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the mint, garlic, vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt together.
- Add 1/4 cup of the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly, until it thickens into an emulsion. Taste for salt. Set aside.
- Bring 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of water to a boil in a covered medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Place the florets in a steamer basket, set in the saucepan, cover, and steam until the cauliflower is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the cauliflower steams, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a Lodge 15-inch cast iron skillet over medium-heat for about 1 minute.
- Add the lamb chops (you may need to cook them in batches), and cook 2 to 5 minutes per side, depending on their thickness and your desired degree of doneness (2 to 3 minutes per side for rare and 5 minutes plus for medium to medium-well).
- Remove to a plate, cover with aluminum foil, and let stand while you finish the cauliflower.
- Remove the steamer basket from the saucepan, and discard the steaming water.
- Melt the butter in the pan and add the florets.
- Mash as you would for mashed potatoes. (For smoother consistency, do this in a blender or food processor.)
- Add the cream and heat through over low heat, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, spoon cauliflower mash in the center of each plate, surrounded with 3 lamb chops and a little of the sauce over each chop.
Find more lamb chop recipes on Food Republic: