Friday already? We’ll take it. After a week of cooking, chefs, the Soho House, and even a groundhog slaying, we’re ready for some pizza.
Our pizza of the week will have you viewing this Sunday’s giant honey glazed ham in a whole new light. If you don’t do Easter, this pie can be yours by simply swinging by the deli counter. If you don’t do ham, this pizza is still solid without it.
But since we love the salty sweet taste of ham, we’ve made it the star of this week’s pizza.
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 thin slices honey glazed ham
- 1/2 cup pickled hot banana peppers, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Follow the directions for cooking our best basic pizza dough (or use a store-bought dough if necessary).
- In a large saute pan over medium heat add the oil. Then add the sliced red onions and cook until they start to caramelize.
- Spread the already-made sauce over the pre- made (not baked) dough.
- Next top the sauce with the slices of ham, then the caramelized onions, then half of the gruyere. Sprinkle the sliced banana peppers over top evenly. Then top with the remaining cheese. Bake according to the pizza dough recipe.