Many of our friends who no longer eat red meat say they enjoy tuna because it has the weight and feel of a good steak. This effortless preparation is the fish-lover’s version of steak au poivre. The zucchini with lemon caper butter adds a bright note to your dinner plate.
For the tuna
- 3 pounds sushi-grade tuna
- 1/2 cup black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup coarse sea salt
For the zucchini
- 8 zucchini
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt
- coarsely ground black pepper
For the lemon caper butter
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
To prepare the tuna:
- Slice the tuna into 8 equal steaks.
- Combine the pepper and salt in a small bowl and pour onto a clean dinner plate.
- Press each tuna steak into the mixture to coat evenly. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
To prepare the zucchini:
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Cut each zucchini lengthwise into 5 or 6 strips.
- Lay flat, brush with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill for 1 for 2 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Set aside.
To make the lemon caper butter:
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Add the capers and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes to heat through.
To grill the tuna:
- Add the tuna steaks to the grill and grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
- To assemble, place 5 or 6 zucchini strips in the center of each plate.
- Drizzle with lemon caper butter. Top each plate of zucchini with a tuna steak.