As the executive chef at Simi Winery in Healdsburg, in Sonoma County, California, Eric Lee designs food to be paired with wines. For this grilled BLT pizza he recommends a bright, fruity white wine like the Simi Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1 batch pizza dough
- 1 batch pizza sauce
- 4 ounces mozzarella, grated
- 4 slices applewood bacon, cooked
- 1 ripe heirloom tomato, chopped
- 2 leaves red leaf lettuce, cut into strips
- Preheat grill to about 450 degrees and divide the dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll out each piece until it is about 1/8” thick. Stretched out, totally not round, very rustic-looking pizzas are the goal here.
- Place dough onto hot grill. Cook until the bottom is set and there are nicely golden grill marks. Flip over, add sauce and mozzarella and close the lid.
- Place the bacon, lettuce, tomato, salt and pepper into a bowl and toss well. Remove the pizza from the grill when the cheese has melted and the crust is golden.
- Cut into slices and top with the “BLT” mixture.