NYC New American restaurant Hospoda is the place to be for beer-inspired (and paired) cuisine. In honor of #GermanyDay, we borrowed a recipe for grünkohl, a stewed kale and sausage dish that's a comfort food of Executive Chef Rene Stein. Says Stein:
"My mom made an awesome grünkohl! It's basically a kale stew with speck and smoked sausage. The key is making sure the kale is tender and adding the mustard seeds and Dijon mustard."
- 3 pounds kale
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces kielbasa
- 4 ounces speck
- 2 tablespoons duck fat
- 6 ounces Idaho potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- Dijon mustard, to serve
- Sauté the speck, kielbasa and potato in the duck fat until golden brown.
- Add the kale, chicken stock and mustard seeds.
- Cook for about 2 hours on low heat.
- Finish with salt and pepper serve with Dijon mustard.
Find more sausage recipes on Food Republic: