Chef Franklin Becker's new midtown lunch spot in NYC, Little Beet, serves a menu inspired by local, seasonal and natural ingredients. Our personal favorites are the "leafy salads," which include this timeless combination of beets and goat cheese. Need a go-to beet salad recipe? Here it is.
Beets and goat cheese are like peanut butter and jelly: they go together perfectly. Add some oranges and fennel to make this salad really pop with flavor.
- 1 bunch baby golden beets
- 1 bunch baby red beets
- 1 bunch baby candy striped beets, raw and sliced thin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons Maldon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon Chervil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Toss the yellow and red beets separately with olive oil, salt and pepper and wrap in tin foil in a 350 degree oven. Cook till fork-tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and peel the beets while still hot under cool running water. Quarter the beets and toss the in olive oil, sherry vinegar, honey and mustard. Marinate for 1 hour.
- Peel and slice the remaining raw candy-striped beets on a mandolin thinly.
- Mix the gremolata ingredients together and toss with all of the beets. Adjust seasoning and place on plate. Add goat cheese and serve.
More recipes with beets on Food Republic: