A great-colored sorbet, and perfect for using up ripe plums. I’ve used five-spice but star anise works equally well; I would also use orange rind in place of lemon. Try adding a scoop to a glass of chilled champagne!
- 1 pound ripe plums
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 strips lemon zest, removed with a vegetable peeler
- Halve the plums, discard the pits and place in a saucepan with all the remaining ingredients.
- Cook over mediumheat, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until the plums have broken down.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and lemon zest, purée until smooth, then pass through a sieve.
- Let cool then refrigerate, covered, for at least 1 hour or overnight. Churn in an ice-cream maker, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
More frozen dessert recipes on Food Republic: