It’s springtime, and favas are or will soon be popping up in gardens, restaurants and farmers markets across the country. Even total beginners to seasonal cooking can make fave e pancetta, or fava beans with bacon (or pancetta), a super-easy dish of fava beans with bacon and onions that makes a great hot side dish or chilled salad. Enjoy it alongside something fresh off the grill with a glass of white wine (preferably al fresco) and repeat after me: “perfetto.”
Read Alibaba’s brief history of fava beans.
- 2 pounds fresh fava pods
- 1/2 pound pancetta or bacon (or guanciale if you can find it), cubed
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 glass white wine
- olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Remove fava beans from their pods.
- Boil the fava beans in a large pot of salted water until “al dente,” still a bit hard, about 2-3 minutes.
- Chop the onion and put it in a pan with a splash of oil and the bacon, and let it brown slightly, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the beans and wine with salt and pepper to your liking and cook over medium heat until the wine evaporates.