Ready to kick your home cooking game into high gear? Join blogger and Instagram sensation Izy Hossack and rejuvenate your go-to dishes into impressive, photogenic masterpieces. This falafel smash will smash your idea of what a traditional falafel can be.
This falafel smash comes together quickly using mainly pantry-friendly ingredients and makes a super-satisfying lunch or, when served with a fried egg and salad, a perfect dinner. I like to make my own bread, so if you fancy doing the same, make your own pita breads or flatbreads using the recipes toward the back of this book.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or unsweetened soy yogurt
- A few handfuls pea shoots or arugula
- A few slices pickled red onion or thinly sliced raw red onion
- 1/2 recipe pita breads or flatbreads or 4 to 6 store-bought pita breads
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
- 2 large handfuls cilantro, finely chopped (including stems)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (I like to use extra virgin, here)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Generous pinch salt
For the falafel
In a bowl, lightly mash the chick peas with the back of a fork, or pulse them briefly in a food processor or countertop blender if you have one. Stir in the salt, ground cumin, ground coriander, crushed red pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil.
In a small bowl, stir together all the ingredients for the cilantro sauce.
Layer up the yogurt, the pea shoots or arugula, chick pea mixture, cilantro sauce, and pickled or raw red onion on the breads and serve.