This creamy celery root soup is one of those dishes you should make in double-batches and freeze for cold times ahead. It's perfect in a soup shooter or as a light first course. Or you can add your favorite "make it hearty" ingredient like shell pasta, barley or quinoa (or even just good crusty toasted bread) and top with a poached egg for a rib-sticking main. Make it vegetarian by switching out the chicken stock, and make it vegan by omitting or substituting the cream.
Peeling and dicing the celery root takes a very sharp, sturdy knife and no fear — it's one tough vegetable. So if a small chick can do it without losing a finger, so can you. Easy tip: do not chase the bulb around on the cutting board. Square off the bottom and make your slices and subsequent dices from there. Float the chopped pistachio garnish on top of a splash of heavy cream — it makes the pistachios' varied colors pop and adds a nice salty crunch.
- 2 large celery roots (a.k.a. celeraic), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock, preferably organic
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream, plus more to garnish
- 1/4 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Toss celery root with half the olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until completely coated, then arrange in an even layer on a large baking sheet.
- Roast for 45 minutes to an hour, or until completely soft golden-brown and caramelized.
- Heat the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot, then sauté the onions and garlic until translucent and just starting to color, 8-10 minutes. Add the roasted celeraic, stir well to combine and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and wine to the pot, bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely, then transfer to a blender and purée in batches, (or use an immersion-blender).
- Return soup to pot over low heat and stir in cream until soup is warmed through.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with a scant splash of cream and sprinkle of chopped pistachios
More creamy soups on Food Republic: