Tofu fans will love the light, citrusy flavors that permeate this elegant dish.
- 2 14- to 16-ounce tubs extra-firm tofu
- juice of 1 orange
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil or other healthy vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- several grindings of black pepper
- 8 to 10 baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
- 1/3 cup silvered almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Cut each block of tofu into 8 slices (about 1/2 inch thick) crosswise. Blot well between several layers of paper towel or a clean tea towel.
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a small mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Arrange the tofu in a single layer on a parchment-lined roasting pan. Spoon the marinade generously over the surface of the tofu. Roast for 15 minutes, or until the tofu begins to turn golden.
- Carefully flip the tofu with a spatula, and spoon more marinade over the surface (you will likely have a bit left over). Roast for 15 minutes longer, or until the tofu is firm and golden.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the carrots, garlic, and almonds, and sauté over medium heat, stirring frequently, until both are golden. Stir in the curry powder and remove from the heat.
- When the tofu is done, transfer to a rectangular or oval serving platter or two, depending on their size, with the slices slightly overlapping one another.
- Sprinkle the carrot-almond mixture evenly over the surface, topped by the parsley. Serve at once, passing around the additional marinade.