This is a sophisticated take on an American classic, the Waldorf salad. Tart crisp apples, piquant blue cheese and rich, crunchy walnuts combine to create a salad with layers of flavor and texture. Slightly sweet, deliciously tangy pomegranate molasses is the key ingredient in the vinaigrette, binding all of the elements in place of the traditional mayonnaise-based dressing. Tender baby spinach and crisp endive amp up the fresh factor of this hearty salad.
- 4 granny smith apples, cut into small cubes
- 2 ounces baby spinach
- 2 large heads of Belgian endive, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 pound blue cheese, crumbled (makes 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Whisk together the pomegranate molasses, vinegar, mustard, and honey in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. The dressing can be made 2 days in advance and stored in a container with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator.
- Combine the apples, spinach, endive, walnuts, and blue cheese in a large bowl.
- Add the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.