We thought we’d kick off tailgating season with the least intimidating and most user-friendly food, easy to make in massive batches: popcorn chicken. This recipe hails from Marc Murphy’s Upper West Side restaurant Ditch Plains, where there’s always a surfing video playlist going full-force.
Marinating the chicken in buttermilk overnight ensures juicy, flavorful meat under the crunchy, tangy-spicy interior. Adding chopped cilantro makes it look even less like you microwaved frozen popcorn chicken, as does serving the bites with any of our homemade dipping sauces. MVP: this guy.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canned chipotles in adobo sauce, pureed
- 2 cups flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Cut chicken breasts into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Place in mixing bowl and cover with buttermilk and pureed chipotle chilis.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Once the chicken has had time to sit in buttermilk, dredge the chicken in seasoned flour and fry in a 350 degree fryer.
- Once out of fryer, season with salt, pepper and chopped cilantro.
Try serving with these homemade dips: