Everyone from Kanye West to Guns N' Roses has taken the stage at Williamsburg's Brooklyn Bowl — Beyonce, Lorde and President Clinton have all hit the lanes — but it's the venue's comfort food menu that keeps the crowd coming back.
You haven't done Brooklyn Bowl right until you've demolished a platter of Blue Ribbon chef/owners Bruce and Eric Bromberg's original famous fried chicken. Chef Michael Psilakis called it "the best crispy, crunchy, yummy fried chicken I've had in my life." And that guy knows a good snack when he sees it.
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teapoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Brooklyn Bowl Fried Chicken
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup matzo meal, or matzo crackers crushed with a rolling pin
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium chicken (about 3 pounds), cut into eight pieces (2 legs, 2 thighs, 4 breast pieces; save wings for stock)
- fine sea salt
- freshly ground black and white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- honey, for serving
For Cajun seasoning:
- Combine all ingredients and store in a covered container. Makes about 3/4 cup.
For the fried chicken:
- Fill a large pot with oil to a depth of about 3 inches.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat until a deep-fat thermometer reads 375°F.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites in a large, shallow bowl.
- In a separate shallow bowl, combine the matzo meal and flour.
- Keeping the dark meat and the white separate, dip each chicken piece in egg white and let excess drip back into the bowl.
- Roll each chicken piece in the matzo mix, and tap off excess.
- Carefully lower the chicken thighs and drumsticks into the oil.
- After 3 minutes, carefully add the breast pieces. (Keep the oil at 375°F by adjusting heat as necessary.)
- Fry until dark-gold, about 10 minutes more.
- Transfer the fried chicken to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Sprinkle immediately with salt and pepper. Then coat the pieces with the Cajun seasoning.
- Serve the chicken with honey, for dipping.
Find more delectable fried chicken recipes on Food Republic: