One of the very first mentions of food in The Hunger Games trilogy comes in the form of a gift from Prim. On Reaping Day, Prim presents her beloved big sister with a gift — goat cheese wrapped in basil leaves. Historically, goats represent sacrifice and giving, and when Prim gives Katniss this goat cheese she foreshadows the many sacrifices the Everdeen family will be forced to make when Katniss volunteers to take Prim’s place in the Hunger Games.
- 5 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
- 25 large basil leaves
- In a small bowl, stir together the goat cheese, olive oil, and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a spoonful of cheese mixture onto each basil leaf. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.