This is one of the most basic sauces you can master in the kitchen. Simply browning butter gives you a nutty flavor that is excellent over a flaky white fish or a fresh pasta dish. Sage from the garden or the grocery store is ideal for giving this sauce its earthy finish.
- 8 ounces butter, unsalted
- 18 leaves sage, fresh
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, (vegetable broth may be substituted)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium sauce pan over low to medium heat, melt butter until solids just start to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add sage and broth. Reduce heat. Simmer until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.