Early fall means Oktoberfest, and equally important, the return of fall TV. Shake Shack is celebrating the much-anticipated return of Will & Grace while New York’s gearing up for the great beer fest. Meanwhile, chefs and bartenders across the country are still raising funds to send help to hurricane and earthquake-affected areas. Here’s how you can help.
- Coffeemania Restaurant in New York is donating $2 for every burger sold to the American Red Cross to help the victims of Hurricane Harvey until Sunday.
- Oktoberfest officially starts in Munich on Saturday, but Treadwell Park in NYC is jumping the gun to start festivities a day early. The kick-off celebration party today will host stein-holding competitions, ceremonial cask-tapping, a live band and more at both the Battery Park and Upper East Side locations.
- Today also marks Mexican Independence Day. Hotel Americano is celebrating by hosting chef Sabina Bandera, known for her street food-based style. Proceeds from the dinner’s ticket sales will benefit Project Paz, a New York-based non-profit that has joined El Paso Community Foundation to raise funds for earthquake relief in Mexico.
- New Yorkers can celebrate all the Gramercy neighborhood has to offer this Saturday at the fifth annual Taste of Gramercy Neighborhood. Local restaurants like Maysville, Burger & Lobster, Beecher’s Handmade cheese and more will be dishing up classics. A portion of the proceeds from the event will go to healthy meal programs at the neighborhood public school P.S. 40 and School of the Future. Leftover food from the day will be donated to Bowery Mission, an organization that helps feed the homeless. Tickets can be found here.
- Shake Shack is teaming up with NBC to celebrate the return of Will & Grace with two themed milkshakes. The Will & Grace Shake combines cinnamon marshmallow frozen custard with Shack fudge and is topped with whipped cream and cinnamon sugar. Jack & Karen’s dedicated shake features strawberry frozen custard, prosecco, whipped cream, rainbow sprinkles and raspberry dust. For every of these shakes sold, NBC and Shake Shack will donate $2 to GLAAD. The shakes will be available starting Monday, September 18 through Sunday, October 1 at select NYC and LA locations.
- Tickets for NYC Loves TX & FL are now on sale. Organized by New York bartender Lynnette Marrero and Houston’s Alba Huerta, as well as journalist Jenny Adams, the event on September 24 will feature multiple tasting rooms from local bars and restaurants including Porchlight, The Dead Rabbit, Llama Inn and more. All proceeds will go to the John Besh Foundation, which is focusing on those affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. There will also be a silent auction of vacations, helicopter rides, cocktail crawls and more that will benefit the Foundation. The John Besh Foundation was formed after Hurricane Katrina to offer post-storm crisis relief, scholarships and financial aid.