Giddy Up! Try This Cowboy Hot Dogs Recipe
Bison hot dogs loaded with onions and bacon
If there's one magazine that publishes great cookbooks, it's California-based Sunset. Their simple, fresh and flavorful recipes come from all over the western United States, but will find their way into your repertoire no matter where you are. Need a go-to hot dog recipe? This one balances lean bison franks with bacon, caramelized onions and barbecue sauce.
"The aroma of caramelizing onions builds anticipation for these over-the-top bison dogs, loaded with the onions — plus bacon and barbecue sauce."
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat on a camp stove, or over a charcoal or wood-fired grill heated to medium (350°; you can hold your hand 5 inches above cooking grate for only 7 seconds).
- Add onion and cook until deep golden and very tender, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if you don’t already have it going, heat a charcoal or wood-fired grill to medium (see step 1).
- Grill hot dogs until slightly charred all over, about 6 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Add buns and grill, turning frequently, until warmed and lightly charred, about 3 minutes.
- Spread buns with mayonnaise and drizzle with mustard and barbecue sauce.
- Set hot dogs in buns. Sprinkle cheese on top, followed by caramelized onions and bacon.
Find the best hot dog recipes on Food Republic: