Beef Tartare Burger Recipe
Cook your steak tartare...just a little bit
We love the New York Times food section, so we picked up a copy of The Essential New York Times Grilling Cookbook, with recipes from the past century (or so) of outdoor cooking. All your favorite authors contributed recipes, but we're crazy about this beef tartare burger from Mark Bittman's The Minimalist For The Grill: Burgers Beyond The Basic.
- The heat should be medium-high and grill rack about 4 inches from fire.
- Put beef, shallot, garlic, capers and anchovies, if using, in a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground—finer than chopped, but not much.
- Put it into a bowl with parsley, Tabasco sauce and Worcestershire sauce, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix gently, then taste and adjust seasoning.
- Handling the meat as lightly as possible to avoid compressing it, shape it into 4 or more burgers.
- Grill about 3 minutes on each side for rare and another minute per side for each increasing stage of doneness.
- Garnish with chopped egg, capers, anchovies, onion, parsley and lemon if desired.
Find more tartares on Food Republic: