Lobster And Arugula Salad With Vanilla Bean Vinaigrette Recipe
Asparagus and arugula pair nicely with lobster tail
It's Fantasy Travel Week on Food Republic, so we're running recipes from the restaurants at the world's most élite and elegant hotels and resorts. Next up, a sweet and tangy lobster salad from Tucson, Arizona's Miraval Resort.
"The method I use at Miraval for the asparagus is easy and results in attractive, fresh green curls," says executive chef Justin Macy. "Be sure to choose nice, fat asparagus spears so you have enough to peel. If you can only find the skinny spears, you can still make a version of this salad that will be delicious. Simply trim away the woody base of the asparagus and cut the spears at an angle into very thin slices."
For the vanilla-infused rice wine vinegar:
- Bring just under one cup of rice wine vinegar to a boil and then pour into a heat-proof container.
- Add one whole vanilla bean; cover and let sit for one hour. (The longer it sits, the better the flavor.) Remove the vanilla bean and discard.
For the vanilla bean vinaigrette:
- Put the garlic, herbs, vinegar, salt, pepper, and vanilla extract in a blender.
- Blend for a minute or so and then add the egg and oil and continue to blend until the dressing is very creamy.
For the salad:
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the raw asparagus spears into thin, lengthwise ribbons and place in a bowl of ice water until they begin to curl up.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine arugula greens and just enough vinaigrette to moisten the greens. Mix well.
- Drain the asparagus curls well on paper towels and then place equal amounts of the curls in the centers of four chilled plates. Top with equal amounts of arugula greens.
- Arrange lobster medallions around the greens, drizzle on a bit more vinaigrette and enjoy.
Try out these lobster recipes on Food Republic: