Dude Food For Your Weekend: José Dog Recipe
Mexican meets American. Both agree on the results.
Fan of true dude food? We are, which is why we're cooking our way through GQ Eats, the magazine's new cookbook. Particularly the chapter titled Michelin-Starred Meals At Home. Between the hunks of meat, spectacular sides and cocktails we'd make by the pitcher, our takeout-ordering skills are getting rusty. First up, the Mexican hot dog of your baseball-watching dreams.
First came the gourmet burger, now it is all about the hedonists hot dog. Of the wonderfully quirky wieners created by Bubbledogs chef James Knappett, GQ recommends the José dog, in which Mexican meets Americana to fantastic effect.
For the salsa
- Mix all the salsa ingredients together and set aside.
For the avocado sauce
- Blitz the flesh from 1 1/2 avocados in a food processor with the lime juice and salt until smooth. Dice the remaining avocado flesh and mix it into the smooth avocado.
For the hot dogs
- Cut the buns as if to split them, but keep one side intact so the hot dogs hold together. Spread the insides with the avocado sauce.
- Add 1 sausage to each bun and top with the salsa.
- Add 3 jalapeños to each bun and top each hot dog with sour cream.
More sausages in buns on Food Republic: