Bacon Basil-Wrapped Shrimp Recipe
Add fresh herbs to awesome smoky bacon shrimp
When you're not making fun of the Paleo diet, it's actually a pretty effective way to shed pounds and learn to eat healthier without sacrificing your favorite bacon. Uh, food. Grab this reliable book of Paleo-hacked comfort food and prepare to fill up on protein. First up, bacon-wrapped shrimp and the Paleo diet go together beautifully.
This is a super-easy appetizer that’s sure to please guests. We like using the larger shrimp for this recipe as it cuts down on labor and provides guests with a substantial bite. However, you could always go with smaller shrimp; just know that might entail extra prep time. If you’re really pressed for time, buy your shrimp already peeled and deveined.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Combine the barbecue sauce with the horseradish in a small bowl.
- Wrap each shrimp with a basil leaf and then a piece of bacon. Try not to overlap the bacon, as you want it to cook evenly. Use a toothpick to secure the bacon in place. Arrange the shrimp on a baking sheet.
- Place the shrimp in the oven and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until they are just turning pink on one side. Remove the shrimp from the oven, turn the oven heat up to broil and flip the shrimp over.
- Place the shrimp back into the oven and broil for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until the bacon starts to get crispy.
- Remove the shrimp from the oven and baste all sides with the barbecue-horseradish sauce. Place the shrimp back in the oven under the broiler for about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Remove the shrimp from the oven, baste one more time with the sauce, and serve hot with extra sauce on the side.
More shrimp recipes on Food Republic: