New York Burger Week: Pretzel Burger with Beer Cheese
Beer-spiked cheese, caramelized onions. Cheers!
New York has so many iconic foods, from pizza to cheesecake to the strip steak. But one item you’ll see on just about any street corner is the pretzel, which inspired us to create the ultimate New York burger, the Pretzel Burger. Of course, New Yorkers love beer and cheese, too, so we’ve combined the two into a delicious sauce to compliment the slightly smoky flavor of the pretzel bun. Bonus: the recipe calls for a half bottle of Amstel Light, meaning you’ve already got an Amstel Light open to start pairing beer with your delicious burger once it’s cooked and ready to eat.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat
- When it bubbles and foams, add the flour and whisk together to form a paste.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture turns from white to light tan.
- Gradually whisk in the beer and slowly add the cheese, continuing to whisk until you have a thick cheese sauce. Stir in hot sauce if using. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use (you may have to reheat it to top the burger).
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, then add the onions.
- Allow them to cook without stirring for 15 minutes, then flip so that the raw onions on the top are now on the bottom.
- Cook for another 10-15 minutes, then stir together, lower the heat and allow to cook slowly for another 15 minutes or until completely soft and deeply caramelized.
- Place a patty on the bottom half of the bun.
- Dollop generously with warm beer cheese and top with half the caramelized onions.
- Top with the other half of the bun and serve with fries.
This post is brought to you by our friends at Amstel Light