Charred Tomato Salsa Recipe
An authentic salsa recipe right off the grill
When you've got a grill handy, throw a few tomatoes on and infuse them with smoky flavor for this delicious and versatile salsa from Westminster, CO's Kachina Southwestern Grill. This classic dried chile-infused salsa is perfect for topping tacos, grilled fare or simply serving with fresh tortilla chips for an elevated snack experience you can easily pull off at home.
Find dried chiles in the ethnic section of the supermarket or at any Latin grocer.
- Char the tomatoes on grill until the skin is dark brown.
- Meanwhile, rub the garlic and onion with the oil and roast in a 350-degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Split the dried chiles down the middle and remove the seeds, using the tip of your knife to loosen if necessary.
- Add dried chilies to the garlic and onion-roasting pan and continue roasting for 5-7 minutes.
- Place all ingredients in a plastic container and puree with a stick blender. The salsa can remain as chunky as you would like.
- Season with salt and adjust to your liking.