Spinach-Artichoke Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
A recipe for scalloped potatoes with a party twist
The inspiration for Spinach-Artichoke Scalloped Potatoes came from the same part of my brain that created Chorizo Potato Bites and Cobb Macaroni Salad — the "let's mash at least two awesome dishes together and see what happens!" cortex. As long as people genuinely love both dishes, they'll love a successful mash-up even more. See also: overly ambitious mash-up fail.
So I took the ultimate spud-based comfort food, scalloped potatoes; and the ultimate awesome creamy dip — spinach-artichoke — and fused them into the greatest scalloped potatoes your steak has ever had the pleasure of sharing a plate with.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, heavy cream, sour cream, artichokes and spinach until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste, and add more heavy cream if the mixture is still too stiff to spread easily. Bring to room temperature before using if making ahead of time.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a deep casserole dish, lay down a layer of potatoes so that the edges overlap slightly. Spread a thin layer of the creamy spinach-artichoke mixture over the potatoes (it doesn't have to be perfect), then sprinkle on a thin layer of cheese and top with 3-4 thin slices of butter.
- Top with another layer of potatoes, making sure the edges overlap slightly and repeat with the spinach-artichoke mixture until you more or less run out of ingredients.
- Arrange the final layer of potatoes on top, then brush generously with the melted butter and top with the Parmesan cheese before transferring to the oven.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes until potatoes are tender and top is golden-brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
More hearty homestyle casserole recipes on Food Republic: