Moroccan Merguez and Vegetable Tagine Recipe
A slow-cooked couscous dish from North Africa
As you may know, we are big fans of merguez, a spicy Middle Eastern lamb sausage, so a merguez tagine was naturally a big hit at our last test kitchen.
For many people across North Africa, tagine is the quintessential comfort food, cooked in a vessel also called a tagine. You can use a Dutch oven or other heavy pot if you don't have a tagine. This dish can include any number of ingredients — feel free to use fish instead of meat — and can easily be made vegetarian. Don't be intimidated by the long list of ingredients; I usually go with whatever meat and vegetables I have on hand and that's what this dish is about. Simply toss the ingredients in a pot with the archetypal Moroccan spices: cinnamon, turmeric and cumin, allow to simmer in stock and serve over hot, fluffy couscous.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot. Use a tagine if you have one, but if not a big dutch oven will do. Add the cinnamon, coriander, paprika, turmeric and cumin to the pot.
- Add the lemon, onion, fennel, garlic and green olives to the pot and cook until softened, for about 15 minutes. Taste for salt.
- Meanwhile, brown the merguez sausage in a skillet over medium heat and reserve the cooking oils. Set aside.
- Add the tablespoon of flour and mix well. Add 3 cups of chicken broth and allow to bubble for 5 minutes.
- Place the merguez, plus the oil rendered from the merguez, and the remaining vegetables into the pot. Add the chickpeas, dried apricots and the raisins. Continue to cook over medium for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the merguez is cooked through.
- For the couscous, follow the directions on the box, and stir in the turmeric before covering the pot to give the couscous a bright yellow hue.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with couscous.
More Tagines From Food Republic:
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »