Toad In The Waffle Recipe
Your waffle has a hole in it. Good start.
Here's why Food Republic's Test Kitchen is magical: toad in the waffle. These kinds of things occur when we cook at full-force for a whole day. The inside is savory and egg yolky and the outside is maple-ey and meaty — neither layer competes with each other, it's just the perfect breakfast in a very concise format. That's all. If you're a toad in the hole fan, it's time to take it to the next level. We have to hand it to KitchenAid's waffle iron (which we borrowed — yup, it was their only one), waffle-craftery has never been so easy.
I recommend serving these with sausage patties made with the Bernamoffs' veal and turkey breakfast sausage recipe from Brooklyn's Mile End Deli.
For the waffle part:
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients in separate large bowls, excluding the two eggs and separated egg.
- Using a whisk or hand-mixer, whip the egg white until it forms stiff peaks.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients until just blended, then fold in the egg white.
- Heat the waffle iron, then pour in half the batter (or enough to make one waffle), close and cook until no more steam comes out. The waffle should be golden brown.
- Remove the waffle from the iron and transfer to a plate, then repeat to make another.
For the toad part:
- When the waffles are done, use a biscuit cutter or other round object to punch a hole in the middle of each.
- Heat the butter in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot and foamy. Place the waffle in the pan, then crack the egg in the center hole. Cook until the white is almost set, 2-3 minutes, then cover with a lid and cook until the egg is to your liking.
- Slide a wide spatula under the waffle, being careful to detach the egg from the pan before lifting up.
- Transfer to a plate, repeat with the other waffle and serve with sausage patties.
More sweet and savory breakfast on Food Republic:
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »