As we approach the one-week mark since the devastating hurricane hit the Northeast, we’re still faced with the cruel reality of power outages, business closures and widespread displacement. Members of the restaurant community have teamed together to host a number of benefits. Here are a few that have come to our attention (and inboxes). Also see Grub Street New York’s comprehensive list of benefits. Please leave any updates in the comments.
- Monday night former Top Chef stars Angelo Sosa, Dale Talde, Kevin Sbraga and Jennifer Carroll will each prepare a course at Añejo (668 10th Ave.) at a special 4-course, $100 dinner. All of the proceeds will go to the Red Cross. Seatings at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. Make a reservation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 212-920-4770.
- Monday night brings a Meat Week NYC Dinner at Jimmy’s No. 43 (43 E. 7th St.) in the East Village. Proceeds from the $45 prix-fixe meat and cider pairing with go to hurricane relief.
- Monday night Seersucker (329 Smith St., Brooklyn) is selling roast pork sandwiches with green tomato barbecue sauce at four for $10. Proceeds go to Red Hook Initiative.
- Monday night a four-course dinner with wine pairings ($200) will be served at Telepan at 7 p.m. All proceeds go to the mayor’s fund for Sandy.
- On Tuesday night there is an election night party at 230 Fifth (230 Fifth Ave.). Starting at 6 p.m. there is free admission and free buffet and drink specials. 50% of proceeds go to the Red Cross of New York and New Jersey.
- In Boston on Wednesday, Ming Tsai, Tony Maws and Jamie Bissonnette will throw a $500-per-person, 50-seat dinner at Mike’s City Diner (1714 Washington St.) to benefit restaurant-industry victims of Hurricane Sandy. Reserve a seat and by e-mailing here.
- Also on Wednesday four chefs are teaming up at Aldea to serve a five-course $300 dinner benefitting NYC Food Flood, which brings food trucks to neighborhoods still left in the dark with no power. Those chefs include Andrew Carmellini, Marco Canora, Seamus Mullen and host George Mendes. Call 212-675-7223 for more information and reservations.
- On Thursday, Dine Out Williamsburg for Sandy relief is Thursday. Proceeds benefit the Red Cross. List of participating restaurants and bars.
- This Sunday at 6:30 p.m., Park Avenue Autumn is offering a four-course menu with wine pairings for $150 that benefits chef Kevin Lasko’s hometown of Point Pleasant, NJ.
- From now until Sunday, Shake Shack is donating $2 of every “Rally Shake” sold to the Red Cross.
- Drop off donations of clean blankets at any of The Meatball Shop’s locations and get a free order of meatballs.
And if you live outside of the region, here are some places to give: