Chorizo And Shrimp Rice Recipe
A Spanish dish gets taken for a Japanese detour
My teaching trips to Spain have inspired this combination of Spanish chorizo and shrimp takikomi gohan. I often make a double batch and freeze some for a quick and satisfying lunch. In this recipe, I use wholesome brown rice, but this dish is also very good with polished white rice.
If you are able to buy shrimp in the shell, reserve the shells (and heads) and make a stock by boiling them in 2 cups of water for 25 minutes. Then strain and use as a substitute for the bottled clam juice in this recipe.
- Rinse and soak the rice. Drain the rice and let it stand in a fine-mesh sieve for 20 minutes to dry.
- Place the spicy Italian pork sausage, whole, in a pot of boiling water for 3 minutes (you don’t need to pre-cook the Spanish-style cured chorizo), then drain and set aside.
- Cut the shrimp diagonally into halves crosswise. Cut the garlic into thin slices. Heat the canola oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes or until transparent. Increase the heat to medium, add the garlic and saffron and cook for 20 seconds. Add the shrimp and cook just until the shrimp turns white.
- Place the drained rice, clam juice and stock in a medium pot. Level the surface of the rice and evenly scatter the onion and shrimp mixture on top of the rice, then follow with the whole chorizo, green peas and salt. Do not stir the rice.
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook the rice as instructed.
- After the rice is cooked, carefully remove the lid and transfer the whole chorizo or sausage to a cutting board. Cut the chorizo or sausage into ½-inch dice. Scatter the chorizo or sausage pieces on top of the rice along with the sliced ginger. Do not stir the rice at this time. Immediately cover the pot and let the rice stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and gently fold the rice and ingredients together with a spatula. Divide the rice into small bowls and serve.
More rice recipes on Food Republic:
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »