Chicken Tinga Nachos Recipe
Loaded nachos go even further South of the border
When the FDA finally comes out with their list of Top 5 Most Important Tailgating Foods (should be any day now), I expect to see nachos close to the top. As I demonstrated recently with our other nacho-centric Test Kitchen creation, Baja Fish Nachos, a good topping can elevate a simple party dish into...dare I suggest, a meal?
I cut a few corners on the chicken tinga, spicy shredded chipotle-braised chicken that loves nacho toppings, condensing it into one pot to keep things convenient. I mean, do you want an awesome snack in time for kickoff or what?
For the chicken tinga:
- Heat a tablespoon of canola oil in a medium oven-safe saucepan over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown all over. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat the other tablespoon of canola oil and sauté the onions, garlic, bay leaf and jalapeno until fragrant, 5-7 minutes, then add the chipotles, chicken stock and cloves. Bring to a boil, mashing up the chipotle peppers with a wooden spoon, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add chicken back to pot, stir to coat completely, cover with a lid and transfer to the oven. Cook for 2 hours, then remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it and set it aside.
To assemble the nachos:
- Pile the chips on a serving platter, then distribute the shredded chicken evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top, then microwave for the minimum amount of time necessary to just melt the cheese — shouldn't be more than 10 seconds. Don't let those chips get soggy.
- Garnish with sour cream and cilantro and serve immediately.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »