Buffalo Sweetbreads with Citrus Blue Cheese Recipe
The buffalo technique's hitting hard this season
This recipe from the Upper West Side "coast" Ditch Plains chef/owner Marc Murphy proves that surfer dudes have great taste. Always wanted to try offal but never had the...uh, guts? Buffalo sweetbreads are a great way to break in.
Calf thymus or chicken wing, the buffalo technique is exactly the same: dredge, deep-fry, cool, drain and toss with buttery hot sauce. The only difference is that you won't find sweetbreads by the family pack in the refrigerated meat aisle.
Sweetbreads can be hard to find, but they're totally worth it — they're tender, creamy, succulent and incredibly flavorful. Call a specialty butcher or meat market ahead of time to see if they have them. If not, they'll easily be able to order them for you and you'll make a new friend or two in the process. Very convenient for sourcing the more obscure parts of animals.
For the citrus blue cheese:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the blue cheese, heavy cream and sour cream.
- Mix until incorporated and season with salt, pepper and the zest of one orange and one lemon.
For the sweetbreads:
- Clean the sweetbreads of any visible membrane using your fingers and a sharp knife.
- Drop them in lightly boiling water for about a minute, remove and transfer to a bowl of ice water until cool.
- Cut sweetbreads into 2-inch pieces.
- Mix flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper and paprika together. Dredge the sweetbreads in the flour and shake off excess.
- Fry in a 350-degree fryer until golden brown and drain on paper towels.
- In a small saucepan, heat the hot sauce until it starts to bubble, then take off heat and whisk in cold butter.
- Place sweetbreads in pan and coat with buffalo sauce.
- Garnish with thinly sliced scallions, and serve with citrus blue cheese dressing
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »