Seared Scallops With Carambola Sauce, Parsnip And Succotash
Try a tropical topping for Northeast seafood
Scallops are always a seafood fan favorite. I love pairing scallops with a delicate side, so that the fantastic flavor of the shellfish is not masked or overpowered. Carambola (or starfruit) is frequently available in South Florida, but seldom used. When combined with vanilla bean, lime and plentiful butter, it really accents all of the deliciousness that the scallops have to offer.
For the scallops:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Season both sides of the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Heat up cast iron pan until nearly smoking hot, add the oil and gently put the scallops in the pan.
- When golden brown, turn the scallops over and finish cooking in the oven for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and reserve until time to plate.
For the parsnip purée:
- Put parsnips in a pot, cover with the water and add the thyme and halved lemon.
- Cook until tender, then drain.
- Transfer parsnips into a blender, add butter and cream and season with salt. Purée until very smooth and pass through a chinois.
- Cut the corn off the cob. Peel and thinly slice the carrots.
- In a pot of boiling water, separately blanch the fava beans, English peas and lima beans until they are tender. Remove the outer layer of the fava and lima beans.
- Heat up a sauté pan, add the oil, corn and carrots. Cook for about 2 minutes then add the beans and peas.
- Toss and finish seasoning with the chives, salt and pepper.
- Slice the carambola thinly so they look like a star.
- Put them in a pot with the vanilla beans, sugar and wine.
- Cook them down on low heat for about 3 hours or until the are nice and tender and wine has reduced by one-third.
- When ready to serve, add the butter slowly while whisking it.
- Finish with a squeeze of lime and salt.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »