Olive Oil-Poached Veal with Lobster Schnitzel Recipe
Wow your dinner guests with a Todd English recipe
Schnitzel is making a comeback. I walk by the schnitzel truck in NYC all the time — it's always busy and I love schnitzel! I had the idea to try a lobster schnitzel in a Veal Oscar dish, which is traditionally veal and crab meat, but I thought the pan-fried lobster with smooth extra virgin olive oil from Chile would be extra-rich and delicious.
For the veal:
- Season veal with salt and pepper and sear in a hot sauté pan in extra virgin olive oil.
- Place seared veal, thyme and garlic into a casserole with the quart of olive oil pre-heated to 180 degrees and let slowly cook for about 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, check the temperature with a meat thermometer. For medium veal, the internal temperature should be 140 degrees.
For the lobster schniztel:
- Cut lobster tail length-wise and place in between two sheets of plastic wrap. With the mallet, gently pound the lobster tail to create a uniform thickness.
- Remove the lobster tail from the plastic and lightly dust with flour, place the tail in beaten egg to coat and then cover with breadcrumbs.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium high-heat and add the lobster tail. Fry the lobster tail until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper when done.
For the sauce choron:
- In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, wine, peppercorns, shallots, tarragon, and tomato paste. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to 1 tablespoon.
- Add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk, over low heat, until frothy, about 3 to 4 minutes. In a steady stream, add the butter until the sauce thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper. Strain the sauce through a chinois and set aside.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »