Tuna Tartare Guacamole Recipe
Fresh guacamole meets tuna tartare for a great dip
Here's something we recently learned from Chef Richard Sandoval at Maya, his East Side Mexican bistro: Asian-influenced tuna tartare and classic down-home Mexican guacamole go side by side. Actually, one goes on top of the other. This tuna tartare guacamole is an impressive start to any meal, Asian, Mexican or otherwise. But try it as a start to Asian or Mexican food, just for kicks. May we suggest:
And check out our weekend in Mexico with Richard Sandoval. Tequila was involved.
For the chipotle mayo:
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Keep covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
For the guacamole:
- In a large bowl, remove the flesh from the two avocados and discard the skin and seeds. Mash the avocados with a fork or spoon until a rough puree is formed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in the chili, tomato, cilantro, onion and stir to combine thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, combine the tuna with the ponzu and the sesame seeds.
- In a third bowl, combine the shredded jicama, cilantro and lime juice and toss together, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Place the guacamole into the center of a large serving bowl.
- Top with chipotle aioli, and then the tuna tartare.
- Finish by topping with the shredded jicama and serve with the wonton chips.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »