Tequila-Marinated Hanger Steak Recipe
Use a tequila marinade for great grilled steak
We ’ll never forget the first time we had this delicious steak. Exhausted and starving, we stopped at a roadside taco stand on the outskirts of Puerto Vallarta and could not believe how tender and juicy the meat was. The four-foot-tall, gold-toothed cook told us her secret ingredient: tequila.
To prepare the steak:
- Combine the tequila, lime juice, salt, black pepper, sugar and habaneros in a large resealable plastic bag and shake until well-mixed.
- Add the steaks and shake again. Make sure that both steaks are well-coated with marinade.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours.
To make the peppers and onions:
- Preheat the grill to low to medium. Lay a double layer of 3-foot-long heavyduty foil on your counter.
- Place the bell peppers and onions in the center and sprinkle with the oil, salt, and black pepper. Fold the ends of the foil to the center to create a foil pouch and seal all loose ends.
- Poke 2 or 3 fork holes in the top and place on the grill until softened, about 15 minutes.
To cook the steak:
- When ready to cook the steak, preheat the grill to high for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and grill the steaks 4 to 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Cut each steak into 4 equal portions.
- To serve, place a heaping scoop of the grilled vegetables in the center of a dinner plate and top with the steak.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »