Stuffed Tomatoes with Gruyère
The best recipe for vegetarian stuffed tomatoes
Shirley Conran once famously said that “life’s too short to stuff a mushroom.” Well it isn’t too short to stuff a tomato with this light savory filling. When you eat the result, you’ll consider it time well spent.
The Meat Free Monday Cookbook, authored by a slew of celebrities, British and American like and with a foreword from the McCartney family, has plenty of gems like this one. It's absolutely worth checking out if you're interested in lowering your meat intake without sacrificing originality or flavor.
Making your own breadcrumbs? We've got the perfect technique.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove a slice from the top of each tomato and scoop out the pulp.
- Season the insides of the tomatoes with salt and freshly ground black pepper and arrange in a greased baking dish.
- To make the stuffing, combine the white breadcrumbs with the milk and eggs in a bowl, and add the garlic, herbs, and onion. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Fill the insides of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs and Gruyère, and drizzle with a little olive oil to prevent burning. Bake until the tomatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »