Baratheon Boar Ribs Recipe
A Game of Thrones tribute to a king who pigged out
A king has the luxury of being able to order what he wishes, and after a vigorous hunt it’s understandable that he would want a fine boar to consume. While he rides alongside the son he can’t quite relate to, King Robert makes sure to demand that such a meal will be ready for him and his knights upon their return. The poor boar, however, is not unlike the rotund king who has seen better days before seeming so tempting of a target for his enemies.
- Cook the fennel and tart apple in the wine, covered, for about 20 minutes. Be sure to keep it wet by adding liquid as needed. Don’t let it dry out.
- When the fennel and apple are very soft, add the butter, caraway seeds, salt and pepper, and sour cream. Stir lightly; then remove from heat. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, apple, and rosemary. Cook about 2 minutes; then mix in the bread crumbs or stuffing mix.
- Fill the pockets of the chops with the breadcrumb mixture, securing openings with toothpicks.
- Set the grill to medium and brown chops over direct heat.
- Place on indirect heat, cover, and grill for about 15 minutes per side. Internal temperature should reach 145°F.
- Spoon some fennel sauce onto each chop before serving.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »