Basque-Style Baked Eggs Recipe
Make this sophisticated egg dish from Alain Ducasse
Serve these Basque-style eggs with nice fresh slices of whole-wheat or multigrain bread.
If you don’t have a flameproof serving dish, use a skillet fit for serving at the table. If you cannot get Spanish Serrano ham, use an Italian cured ham, and trim the fat before cutting it. Peppers, onions, and tomatoes — plenty of antioxidants here!
- Peel the onions and bell pepper with a vegetable peeler and remove the seeds and membranes
- Cut the vegetables into thin slivers. And the tomatoes into quarter being sure to remove their seeds
- Peel and chop the garlic cloves
- Heat the olive oil in a flame proof casserole dish hand sweat the onions and peppers for 5 minutes with the lid on. Add the tomatoes and garlic and cook gently with the lid off until the liquid from the vegetables has evaporated
- In the meantime cut the ham into slices and chop the leaves from the basil. Add them when the vegetables are cooked and stir well.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and Piment d’Espelette or hot paprika
- Spread the vegetables in a layer about 1 ½ inches deep in a large flameproof serving dish
- Make 8 little hollows in the vegetable layer and take the eggs and break on into each hollow
- Cook gently until the white is set but the yolk is still runny
- Sprinkle over a few grains of sea salt and serve