Wasabi Flank Steak Recipe
Mar 14, 2012 4:01 pm
Serve this flank steak with miso-glazed potatoes
Photo: Tina Rupp/Food & Wine
2 tablespoons wasabi powder
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons horseradish, drained
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 2-pound flank steak
4 teaspoons canola oil
1 pound fingerling potatoes
1 tablespoon miso
1 tablespoon mirin
1 bunch watercress, stemmed, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450F and preheat a cast-iron grill pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the wasabi and water, then stir in the horseradish and soy sauce.
- Rub the steak with 1 teaspoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the steak over high heat until lightly charred, about 5 minutes. Flip the steak and spread the wasabi mixture over the charred side.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the steak for 10 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 135F for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan of boiling water, cook the potatoes for 15 minutes. Drain and let cool. Wipe out the saucepan.
- Add the remaining 3 teaspoons of oil and the potatoes and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until golden, 5 minutes.
- Combine the miso and mirin; add to the potatoes and cook, stirring, until glazed, about 2 minutes.
- Thinly slice the steak across the grain and serve with the miso-glazed potatoes and the watercress.
Level of Difficulty:
Food Republic Newsletter
Creative, comfortable spaces to enjoy great brews
A hypnotizing vegetarian tart packed with flavor
A dispatch from Team USA's record-setting day
Nightclub culture meets hush-toned mixology
An interview with NYC's restaurant resurrectionist
The Precision Cooker from Anova is a game changer
The big wine stories on our radar