Wasabi Flank Steak Recipe
Mar 14, 2012 4:01 pm
Serve this flank steak with miso-glazed potatoes
Photo: Tina Rupp/Food & Wine
2 tablespoons wasabi powder
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons horseradish, drained
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 2-pound flank steak
4 teaspoons canola oil
1 pound fingerling potatoes
1 tablespoon miso
1 tablespoon mirin
1 bunch watercress, stemmed, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450F and preheat a cast-iron grill pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the wasabi and water, then stir in the horseradish and soy sauce.
- Rub the steak with 1 teaspoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the steak over high heat until lightly charred, about 5 minutes. Flip the steak and spread the wasabi mixture over the charred side.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the steak for 10 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 135F for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan of boiling water, cook the potatoes for 15 minutes. Drain and let cool. Wipe out the saucepan.
- Add the remaining 3 teaspoons of oil and the potatoes and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until golden, 5 minutes.
- Combine the miso and mirin; add to the potatoes and cook, stirring, until glazed, about 2 minutes.
- Thinly slice the steak across the grain and serve with the miso-glazed potatoes and the watercress.
Level of Difficulty:
Food Republic Newsletter
Increase your cruciferous vegetable smarts
Somebody calculated the most nutrient-rich veg
Stop everything and start deep-frying scallions
Meet notNeutral, innovators of coffee drinkware
Irish capital is awash in Guinness and fiddle tunes
Breweries use modern packaging to simply make noise
Fruity ales, hearty stouts to drink on Thursday