Cauliflower and Arugula Soup Recipe
Feb 21, 2012 5:31 pm
Make this easy vegetarian soup any time
Photo: Georgia Glynn Smith
Cauliflower makes a delicious soup, and with the addition of arugula, you get a lovely peppery aftertaste. I’ve added crunch by including some fast-roasted cauliflower florets.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large floury potato, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large head cauliflower, two-thirds roughly chopped (core included) and one-third reserved, cut into small florets
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
1 quart good-quality vegetable stock
1 pint skim milk
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 handfuls arugula leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Heat half the vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrot and cook for 8–10 minutes over medium to low heat to lightly color and soften the onion.
- Add the potato, and cook until the potato starts to stick, and the edges start to soften. Add the roughly chopped cauliflower, bay leaf, thyme, and stock to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15–20 minutes.
- Add the milk, and warm through without letting the soup boil. Meanwhile, toss the cauliflower florets with the remaining oil in a bowl, then add the cumin and toss again. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 12–15 minutes, until the cauliflower begins to brown, but still retains some bite.
- Process the soup in a blender with the arugula and white pepper. Blend it in batches, then pass through a fine sieve. Check the seasoning.
- Drain the roast cauliflower and divide between the hot soup bowls.
- Pour in the soup and serve immediately.
Level of Difficulty:
1 hour, 10 minutes
Food Republic Newsletter
Remember the 3 A's: aphrodisiac, absinthe, America
Vietnamese noodle soup, it’s what’s for breakfast
Oh, Canada! You've invented the perfect foodstuff.
New cookbook aims to debunk edible marijuana myths
Take a comforting combination for a fun spin!
Six contenders in the coveted design categories
The nation’s capital is fast becoming a food mecca