Red Velvet Muffins Recipe
The best red velvet cupcakes ever, for brunch
It's no joke, Red Velvet Pancakes was Food Republic's most popular recipe of 2011. Like Chinese oranging, red velveting is a lot easier than you think (as is inventing food verbs). Say, that looks a lot like a red velvet cupcake. We maintain that this recipe churns out frosting-free, not-too-sweet muffins. You could technically red velvet a croissant if you wanted to stick it to the French. Sounds tasty, right?
Smear these with whipped cream cheese while still slightly warm for a sweet-savory combination that's more appropriate for breakfast.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla and food coloring and mix well, then fold in sour cream.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt in a large bowl, then stir in the butter mixture until just until combined. Fill a greased or paper-lined muffin tin two-thirds full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- When cool enough to touch, remove to a wire rack.
- Serve with whipped cream cheese.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »