Sweet Potato Skins With Bacon Recipe
Update your loaded potato skins for a sweet game
Personally, I could eat potato skins every day of the week, but for a different take on one of the world’s best bar foods, try using sweet potatoes skins instead of regular potatoes. They are every bit as good as regular potato skins and they taste just as great topped with sour cream.
Make this in excess, we know how you tailgate.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Scrub sweet potato skins, then pat dry. Place sweet potatoes on foil-lined baking sheet that has been lightly oiled and bake until sweet potatoes are tender, about 40-45 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, cook slices of bacon in a skillet over medium-low heat until crispy, about 10-15 minutes. Drain bacon on a paper towel, then crumble.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and cool until you can handle. Cut in half, lengthwise. Scoop out most the flesh of sweet potatoes into a bowl, leaving about ¼ inch of flesh in the skin.
- Brush sweet potato skins with oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place back on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes skin side down, then flip over and bake an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Mash sweet potato flesh with a fork until smooth, then mix in cream and bacon. Add filling to skins, then top with cheese. Broil skins until cheese has melted, about 1-2 minutes.