Scotch Egg Recipe
Coat an egg with sausage, bread it and deep-fry it
Too many people don't know about scotch eggs. They're a genius combination of two major players in the brunch game — sausage and eggs — into one baseball-sized package of perfection. The concept of this beloved English pub snack is simple: hard-boil an egg for slightly less time than you normally would (about 8 minutes), cool, peel and sculpt a layer of ground pork sausage around it (lightly — lightly is key). Roll the sausaged egg in egg (that has to be treif to someone), bread it and fry until golden. If you're of the spicy persuasion, feel free to knead a little cayenne pepper into the sausage before you coat the eggs.
I recommend using the best eggs you can find, since a firm but creamy yolk is what you're shooting for. Free-range yolks simply have a lot more going for them, flavorwise. If you can pull that off (bragging rights for making your own incredibly easy pork sausage, foolproof breadcrumbs and way more flavorful mayonnaise), you're about to discover a dish that makes deviled eggs jealous. Go the extra mile by enjoying with a great British beer. Now that I think of it, these would be great to stuff into a turducken.
- Hard-boil six of the eggs according to our handy guide, subtracting two minutes from the cooking time. Beat remaining egg and set aside.
- Cool eggs completely, peel and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Mix worcestershire sauce, pepper and sausage in a large bowl.
- Divide sausage into six portions and sculpt loosely around each egg, making sure not to leave any of the white exposed.
- Roll each egg in beaten egg, then in breadcrumbs to coat completely and set aside.
- Heat enough oil over medium-high heat in a medium heavy-bottomed pot to submerge eggs halfway.
- Fry in batches of 3 until just golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain on several layers of paper towel, slice in half and serve warm with mayonnaise for dipping.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »