Tom and Jerry Recipe
A spicy eggnog alternative
This variation on eggnog served as a warm punch can become a painstaking undertaking — but one that is well worth it. Make the Tom and Jerry for someone special — so they know you care (or will think you're a big show-off). The drink is also the inspiration for one of NYC's favorite downtown bars.
- In a bowl on ice, beat the egg whites until you have a fully peaked meringue.
- In a separate bowl, beat the yolks until they have a curd-like consistency, and add the spices.
- Fold the yolks and whites together gently, adding the white sugar and brown sugar, until you have a thick, fluffy batter.
- Store this in a metal bowl at room temperature. It should maintain a semi-thick, soufflé-like consistency.
- To serve, heat up your milk, being careful not to burn it. (If you have an espresso machine, you can steam your milk à la minute.)
- Fill a warm cappuccino cup with 1 1/2 ounces of brandy and 1 1/2 ounces of bourbon or rum.
- Steam this using an espresso machine if you have one or pop it in the microwave for a few seconds. Add 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar and three tablespoons of your batter mix.
- Fill the cup with hot or steamed milk so the batter floats on top, cappuccino-style. Shave a dusting of nutmeg on top. Serve with a spoon so your guests can mix at their leisure.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »