Spiced Coconut Lentil Soup Recipe
A thick, hearty vegan soup for cold weather
Although ‘spiced’ this dish is not particularly spicy – even with the added chili and paprika. The spice is very mild and subtle but absolutely essential in aiding the soup to be bursting with the incredible flavor it possesses. Sheer aromatic excellence if you ask me.
Alternatively, do as I did and make a massive pot and warm for lunch as and when needed. It really is the most satisfying midday meal I’ve had in a very long time. For some strange reason though every time I eat it I cannot get this song out of my head:
“She put the lime in the coconut. She drank them both up”
The sentiment rings true and I wholeheartedly urge you to follow suit and put some lime in your coconut and drink them both up. Pronto.
- Finely chop the red onion – I actually like to mince mine with a knife.
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy based saucepan. Add the onion, season, cover and allow to soften for several minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince the chili, garlic and ginger together. Add to pan, cover and cook for a few more minutes until the flavors begin to infuse – your kitchen should be full of wonderful aromas by now.
- Rinse and sort the red lentils and add to pan along with the ground coriander, paprika and cumin. Mix thoroughly and then pour in the coconut milk and water. Sprinkle in the vegetable bouillon and lightly season with some pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover, bring to the boil and then lower to a gentle simmer for forty minutes, ensuring to stir frequently.
- Juice the lime and set aside.
- When the lentils have softened and almost disintegrated to form a thick, creamy soup, take off the heat, pour in the lime juice, taste for seasoning and serve with a few fresh coriander leaves for garnish.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »