Coconut Milk & Pomegranate Turkey Recipe
This year, Thanksgiving turkey takes an exotic turn
This year, we're trying something new for our Thanksgiving turkey. I'm making a marinade of coconut milk, buttermilk and pomegranate juice. I think this will ensure a really moist holiday bird.
Start this the day before by brining the turkey in a saltwater mixture. Then on the day of, transfer the turkey to a flavorful marinade that will seal moisture in. With 2 1/2 hours of roasting, you'll have plenty of time left to get your other dishes done in time.
- In a large pot combine the salt, lemon juice and cold water. Submerge the turkey and let soak overnight.
- Remove the turkey from the brine, and discard the brine. In a large pot, combine the buttermilk, coconut milk, pomegranate juice.
- Rub the marinade onto the skin of the turkey and marinate the turkey for at least 4 hours, covered in the refrigerator. Turn the turkey in the marinade every hour.
- 20 minutes before you plan to roast the turkey, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the turkey from the marinade and pat the skin dry. Discard the marinade.
- Mix the butter, thyme and garlic. Using your hands, rub it under the skin, taking care not to pierce or break the skin. This will help seal in moisture.
- Place the turkey breast side up on a roasting rack in a roasting pan and cover with foil. Roast the turkey in the oven for 1 ½ hours, basting every ½ hour with the juices from the turkey.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Baste every ½ hour with the juices from the turkey.
- Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reads 160 degrees F and the juices run clear, about 1 1/2 hours.
- During the last 20 minutes of cooking remove the foil to brown the skin. Let the turkey rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
Food Republic Newsletter
Throughout May we will be offering wall-to-wall grilling coverage including grilling tips, gear advice and interviews with immortal Grilling Gods.
Grilling Month Giveaway
All month we're giving away an amazing lineup of grilling-related items. Come back every few days to enter and win.Enter the Contest »